birding-aus

Re: Suggetions??

To: "IAIN CAMPBELL" <>
Subject: Re: Suggetions??
From: (Dr Richard Nowotny)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:49:06 +1000
Iain
How tough to be stuck in the US/Canada for 3 weeks in the fall!  It sounds
like a real imposition!!
Arizona and Texas (the central and lower coast especially) are both great.
It depends quite a bit on whether you have already birded North America or
not and whether this is hard-core birding or a combination of birding and
seeing some of the best places in North America at the same time.  As well
as the two places you mention I have had excellent birding and found the
following places very enjoyable/attractive:  Vancouver, San Francisco and
environs (esp. Point Reyes National Seashore), Southern California, Ontario
generally and the Florida Keys.  (A bit off the beaten track, but Diana and
I just recently had 11 extremely enjoyable and productive days in Trinidad
and Tobago - some 200 species in a superb part of the world.  If you had the
wherewithall you could do an awful lot worse!)
Some suggestions:  There are some terrific books about birding locations in
North America and the Lane Guides particularly (available through the
American Birding Association) are superbly detailed local trip and
bird-finding guides.  I have a number of these and a range of other North
American books which might be useful/interesting to refer to.  Feel free to
get back to me if you are interested.
Regards.
Richard Nowotny (Melbourne).