birding-aus

Barn Owls in WA

Subject: Barn Owls in WA
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 07:42:08 +0800

Rob Davis mentioned a Barn Owl in Fremantle, and mention was also made of
one at UWA.

I haven't seen many in WA at all considering the time and areas that I have
covered.  My first was a couple near Hyden (about 3 hours ESE of Perh)
while spotlighting. I have seen a couple at Argyle (2 hours south of
Kununurra). I have seen a few spotlighting around the Kununurra irrigation
areas. I heard one at Waychinicup (about 1 hour east of Albany). I heard
one at Dryandra (2 hours SE of Perth).

One was reported in summer a couple of years ago at Herdsman Lake in Perth,
and I have been told that they are locally common around Baldivis (about 30
minutes south of Perth).

This contrasts with the eastern states where I have seen quite a lot,
including 50 on the night that Phil Maher took me spotlighting for Plains
Wanderer just north of Deniliquin.

Southern Boobooks are very common in WA, and I hear them quite often
(including the other night) in suburban Nedlands.

Frank