birding-aus

Re: wetlands and RAMSAR sites

To: "IAIN CAMPBELL" <>
Subject: Re: wetlands and RAMSAR sites
From: (Andy Anderson)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 02:44:14 -1000
Iain Campbell wrote re Cairns mudflats and RAMSAR -

>If the situation here is anything to go by, we could have a RAMSAR site in
>Cairns, with the RAMSAR Hotel, Phalarope Marina, and the Laughing Gull ice
>cream parlor.

One of our priorities is to get the area declared as a Ramsar site. This
can only be done with Queensland Dept of Environment support, as they
advise the State Govenment who `put up' the proposal. The D.E. probably
cannot assess the  relative importance of different proposals without
advice from QOS or QWSG.

Currently the Trinity Inlet mudflats (Cairns Esplanade) Ramsar proposal is
at least 3rd behind Moreton Bay and the Gulf of Carpentaria, Ramsar
proposals. Without solid support, from State-wide agencies such as QOS, the
Cairns proposal will remain well down the list, and suddenly the Esplanade
filling may begin.

Ramsar listing in itself won't save anything, as Iain points out, but
because it has to be done with State Government backing, which requires
Cairns City Council agreement, Ramsar listing is probably the one sure way
for the Cairns Esplanade high mud to be saved.

I'm virtually the only BOCA member on email up here and I'm just off to PNG
for 2 months. (Someone has to do these things). But our front man for this
exercise is Graham Finnigan, ph 556139 (h) after 7pm, or 10 Ellwood Close,
Kewarra Beach 4879.
Graham is a senior public servant in the Lands Dept and should not be
compromised publicly or by fax at work. He has already been told to pull
his head in. However, he is an excellent spokesman, and is able to rise to
the attack at times of his own choosing.

Thank you all for your support
Andy Anderson
Cairns.