birding-aus

Re: Birdwatching databases

To: "Cliffe, Neil" <>
Subject: Re: Birdwatching databases
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 13:41:24 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Cliffe, Neil wrote:

> Greetings,
> Can anyone out there reccommend "Birdinfo for Windows"or any other
> database that is useful for the average birdwatcher to record birds seen
> on a regular basis and to record species seen on particular special
> trips.
>
> Versatility and the ability to record an unlimited number of trips would
> be useful.
>
> Has anyone had experience with any of these databases, and would be
> prepared to reccommend one over another?
> Thanking you in anticipation.

Neil:
   If you happen to live in Brisbane I can give you a copy of
my Natural Science Journal Program which I have adapted for birders.  It
is written as a DOS application but runs smoothly under Windows if you
have at least 8 megs of ram on an IBM (486 DX or better).  The program
contains all the birds of the world, all the mammals of the world and all
Australian herps.  It is a comprehensive program that can be user modified
for a large number uses.  Several friends use the program (myself
included).
   I have seen an older version of BirdInfo (written in Foxpro I believe)
and it is OK but you will need a fast computer and there is a learning
curve which is true for all comprehensive programs.

Cheers, Jim Davis