birding-aus

Re: Birds Australia golf

Subject: Re: Birds Australia golf
From: (Debra Sparn)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:46:16 -0600 (MDT)
Stephen Ambrose writes:

>... Birds Australia IS actively involved in advising golf clubs about making
>their courses more suitable for birds and other wildlife. YOU and everyone
>else can help in this process by taking part in the Birds On Golf Courses
>Project (see p20 of the March 1997 issue of Wingspan).
>
>Some golf courses in Europe and North America have already been shown to be
>important birds....
>The Audubon Society in has shown that remnant vegetation on some North
>American golf courses are important flyways for migratory birds. Let's see
>how Australian golf courses stand up to such scrutiny!

It is a small start, but very worthy.  One of our local courses here in
Boulder, Colorado USA, has joined Audubon's effort to improve habitat and
habit [i.e. reduce use of too many chemicals].  Encourage any course you
can.  It will take time, of course, for improvements to be seen, but what
choice have we got?  Money will eat up land.  If we can convince those who
develop that they will save by joining the effort we win, at least a
little.

And golf in and of itself is not a bad game.  Beats American Football with
a stick (if you'll pardon my pun).

Best of luck, to both our continents,
Debra Sparn  (long-time Birding-Aus reader, sometimes poster)

:)

Debra Sparn                                       (303) 492-5008
Graduate Secretary                                (303) 492-0969 fax
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Colorado at Boulder
Campus Box 287
Boulder, Colorado  80303