birding-aus

[no subject]

From: IAN MAC RAE <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 15:30:05 +1000
Greetings All:
I have had a request for information from a fruit grower in North
Queensland. He grows mangoes and something called langos (I think). His
problem is that birds and flying foxes like the fruit he grows. He will not
shoot them or poison them but wonders if there is some way to scare them off
without hurting them. The old ways of carbide guns etc dont work as the
birds settle in between explosions. He wonders if there is someway perhaps
using recordings of raptor calls? He is pretty capable with electronics and
could if he had the information construct a device to emit an appropriate
sound (whatever that might be)to keep the birds (and hopefully flying foxes)
away from the fruit at ripening time.
Any help on this problem would be gratefully received.
Please email me at  if you can offer anything.
A farmer who wont shoot or kill birds!!
Happy birding
Ian MacRae