birding-aus

pelagic peregrines

Subject: pelagic peregrines
From: Eric J Woehler <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:42:24 +1200
I have another observation of ocean-going peregrines, this time from the
northern hemisphere.

In July 1993, I was on a research vessel recording seabirds at sea
approximately 7 to 10 nautical miles north of Kiska I in the Aleutian
Islands. A Peregrine of the Aleutian form (cant remember the subsp, but the
local subsp is very dark) flew past our vessel, heading further out to sea.
The Peregrine was seen to chase the  kittiwakes and gulls in the vicinity
of our vessel, then headed out to sea after a couple of unsuccessful chases.

cheers

Eric