birding-aus

Re: RIF Victoria

Subject: Re: RIF Victoria
From: (Paul Foxworthy)
Date: Thu, 15 May 97 15:26:03 +1000
In <> Rohan A VanTwest
<> writes:
>Dear Birders,

>We plan to visit Victoria on a family (sorry Birding) vacation this
>August. I have a (few) RFI to make to the members of this list. Will be
>happy to reciprocate for Ontario birds.

>We will be bases in Kealba, are there any potential birding sites within a
>5 km radius of this place and what birding sites (other that Fern Tree
>Gully) are readily accessible from Melbourne via public transport
>(tram,train,bus)?

For those who might not know, Kealba is between Keilor
and St Albans in the northwest suburbs of Melbourne.

Brimbank Park is a major metropolitan park right next to Kealba. You'll
probably be able to walk there. A visit early in the morning before all
the people arrive might be a good idea. Anyone from up that way have
a bird list for Brimbank Park?

The Botanic Gardens in central Melbourne are easy to reach by public
transport and suprisingly good for birds, and there's a bonus colony
of bats.

>For the past 2 years, I have drooled over the pelagic reports posted on
>BIRDCHAT, but it seems that my timing is off for organised boat trips!
>Alternatively, where are the best land based sites from which to scope off
>shore pelagics? - an Albatross, Giant-Petrel, Shearwater will make my
>trip.

Near Melbourne, I'd suggest Cape Schank, and some birding-ausers seem
to do well at Point Lonsdale.

>Any suggestions as to which sites should be included as MUST VISIT in
>our birding itinerary will be much appreciated? My friend Ian suggested
>the Mallee, but he is a Queenslander should I believe him?

Yes, definitely. Try Hattah-Kulkyne National Park.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
-- Paul Foxworthy --------------------  --
There had been some desultory talk about putting up a statue to Rincewind