birding-aus

Re: RIF Victoria

Subject: Re: RIF Victoria
From: Rohan A VanTwest <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 15:25:53 -0400 (EDT)
Dear Birders,

We plan to visit Victoria on a family (sorry Birding) vacation this
August. I have a (few) RFI to make to the members of this list. Will be
happy to reciprocate for Ontario birds.

We will be bases in Kealba, are there any potential birding sites within a
5 km radius of this place and what birding sites (other that Fern Tree
Gully) are readily accessible from Melbourne via public transport
(tram,train,bus)?

For the past 2 years, I have drooled over the pelagic reports posted on
BIRDCHAT, but it seems that my timing is off for organised boat trips!
Alternatively, where are the best land based sites from which to scope off
shore pelagics? - an Albatross, Giant-Petrel, Shearwater will make my
trip.

Similarly, where are the best areas to look for wintering shore birds?

Any suggestions as to which sites should be included as MUST VISIT in
our birding itinerary will be much appreciated? My friend Ian suggested
the Mallee, but he is a Queenslander should I believe him?

Thanks and Cheers

Rohan
Rohan van Twest
Department of Microbiology
University of Guelph, Guelph
Ontario, Canada N1G2W1          "In the field of observation, chance favors
519-824-4120x4328                       only prepared minds".
Fax:519-837-1802                                - Louis Pasteur
E-mail: