birding-aus

Re: Biogeographical boundaries

Subject: Re: Biogeographical boundaries
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 10:33:42 +1000
>Iain,
>This depends on whose definition you are using.  There is universal
agreement that the boundary to the north is Wallace's line, which runs
between Bali and Lombok.  A number of Australian birders include all
Australian territories in their Australian lists, but according to the
American Birding Association, whose areas tend to guide the rest of the
world, Christmas Island would fall in the Indian Ocean area, not Australia
or Australasia, and Macquarie Island and Heard Island would fall under
Southern Ocean not either Australia or Australiasia.  If my memory serves me
correctly, New Zealand and New Caledonia etc fall into the Pacific Ocean,
not Australasia.

>The dividing line between the Western and Eastern Paleartic is the Ural
Mountains in the North.  The boundary then follows the borders of European
Russia (so Kazakhstan, Turkminstan etc are in Eastern Palearctic). Iraq is
in Wester, Iran in Eastern.  I am not 100% sure about Georgia, Armenia and
Azerbaijan.

>John Penhallurick
>

>At 10:24 12/05/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>A couple of us were wondering what are the boundaries of the Australasian
>>faunal region. Well, we are keen tfind all th boundaries, like is New
>>Caldonia in Australasia or Oceania. Is India Oriental or Paleartic? and
>>what is the divide between western and eastern Paleartic.
>>

>>Iain campbell
>>AGEM
>>Ghana

Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 6) 201 2346   AH (61 6 2585428)
FAX (61 6) 258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
                University of Canberra, PO Box 1, BELCONNEN, A.C.T.2616,
AUSTRALIA
OR            PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

                "I'd rather be birding!"