birding-aus

Re: RAOU Records Appraisal Committee

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: RAOU Records Appraisal Committee
From: (Glen Ingram)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 06:49:30 +1000
Dear Tony,
I am still recovering from Birds Australia as the nomen nov. for RAOU. Last
year, for a conservation group considering a name change (which shall
remain nameless), we were informed confidently by our marketing advisors,
that the Frenchification (e.g. adjective after the noun) of the names of
Australian organizations was now passé. Not only that, market surveys had
picked up a perception amongst the public, and in the marketplace, that
such changes have come to be associated with negativity. Firstly,
apparently, such name changes is telling clients that your organization, or
whatever, is having difficulties. And, secondly, it is being perceived
overall that job losses usually follow the baptism. And, yes, name French
changes do stick in minds people: that is why they remember the subsequent
negativity.
Oh, well, the times changing; and in honour of that, Tony, and with humour,
I have suggested some names French for your committee. Let yourself go:
don't just stick to strictures English.

How about:
Birds Rarity Appraisal Team
Committee Rarities Appraisal Birds

PS Does anyone know what has happened with Zealand New from the old RAOU?
PPS Are birds allowed to be members of Birds Australia or only humans?