birding-aus

Re: SCC Lerping

To: Paul Fennell <>
Subject: Re: SCC Lerping
From: Ian Temby <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:13:27 -0712 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:08:01 +1000 (EST) Paul Fennell <>
wrote:
>At this time, large flocks, (over 500) of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos can be
>seen on the ground in paddocks around Canberra.  There has also been a small
>group in the large Blakely's Red Gum which overhangs my driveway.  They
>appear to be taking lerps of the leaves.  They are also pruning the tree and
>dropping the cuttings all over the driveway.  Twigs and small branches are
>nipped off and discarded.
>
>I can't recall seeing this before in this tree.  Is it common for SCCs to do
>this?

Dear Paul

Pruning trees of various species is very common behaviour for Sulphur-crested
Cockatoos as well as Long-billed and Little Corellas.  Sometimes the ground
underneath is totally carpeted with prunings.  I suspect this is part of beak
maintenance behaviour.

I have not seen these birds removing lerps, but will look out for this
activity,
thanks to your posting.

Cheers

Ian
=======================================
Ian Temby
Wildlife Damage Control Officer
Secretary, BIRDS Australia Parrot Association
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE   VIC   3002
AUSTRALIA

Phone   613 9412 4429