birding-aus

Spring has Sprung in La Crosse WI USA

Subject: Spring has Sprung in La Crosse WI USA
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:16:53 -0500 (EST)
My daily log shows that Spring has Sprung.

Snow            24Mar97 2" of new snow, 30F, 6.3'. The Black River is open but
Richmond
Bay is still iced over. I was greeted by the usual crowd, and some first of
year birds. There were 1000 herring gulls with a few first year immature
birds, a Red Brested Robin, a Red-winged Blackbird and a Great Blue Heron
which are my sure signs of Spring. Next, the wood ducks to make my spring
complete.

Wood Ducks      25Mar97 37F, 6.4'. Grackles and Starlings, but pairs of wood
ducks
are exploring our duck boxes. Spring has sprung. Will not open our ten duck
boxes for a few days yet in an effort to keep the starlings out. I will open
starling boxes today and two of the duck houses on Easter Sunday. What a
beautiful sight.

Mike Houle;     LaCrosse WI on an Island in the Black River