birding-aus

Re: Ethics of bird-watching

To: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Subject: Re: Ethics of bird-watching
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 11:27:25 +1000
Osborn, Paul PR wrote:

> The biggest problem I see with debating this issue is the lack of
> information on the effects spotlights, pishing etc. have on the birds.
> Has anyone done a rigorous study of this issue? It's easy to postulate
Is it possible to do any quantitative study on the effects of
spotlighting?I imagine the ethical problems involved would be
horrendous!Anything that has been done would certainly be of great
interest though.
> let's hear about it, then we can form some opinion. Otherwise,somewill
> say 'Don't do it' others will say 'Why not?' and we will keep going
> around in circles.
No matter what evidence is produced we will keep going around in circles
on this one because there is probably no correct answer.Moderation is
always the best policy,it seems to me.Even if the RAOU produce a set of
guidelines people who disagree with them will simply disregard them.We
should still talk about it though.

Susan Myers