birding-aus

Ethics of bird-watching

Subject: Ethics of bird-watching
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 05:21:11 +1000
ETHICS OF BIRD-WATCHING

I have been following this discussion of the ethics of spotlighting with great
interest.
The RAOU?s Conservation Committee is currently examining the ethics of using
play-back
tapes, spotlights and other aids to attract/observe birds, particularly rare and
sensitive species. The Committee will ultimately produce an RAOU position paper
once
everyone?s points of view have been canvassed.

Interestingly, peoples? views on this topic were sought in the September 1996
issue of
Wingspan to help the RAOU prepare its position paper but there was no
significant
response. It appears that chat lines such as this one are more effective in
eliciting
view-points of members (and others)!

Let?s not have interstate, inter-club or professional rivalries in discussing
such
important issues as this one. We have all used some device for attracting birds
at some
stage of our bird-watching. Now is the time to have a rational (rather than an
emotive)
discussion on how we can minimise the disturbance to birds (and their habitats)
when
enjoying our hobby and/or profession.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
RAOU Research and Conservation Manager