birding-aus

erect crested penguin

Subject: erect crested penguin
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:32:19 +1000
I have just returned from seeing this penguin at the 12 Apostles

It is so easy as to be a bit of an anticlimax!

When we got there it was on the beach on the west of the westernmost
viewing platform, and was lying face down on the edge of the vegetation at
the top of the beach (these plants also shelter Lt Penguin burrows). Since
normally I arrive at a tick on the day the bird has just left, I assumed my
luck had remained constant and it had died in the night. However this was
not true as after about 5 mins it stood up and looked round. It did this 3
times in the half hour we were there. It also waved its flippers in a
lethargic way.

Pauline Reilly was with me and suggested it might need several more days to
complete its moult, however we were looking from the top of the cliff so
she did not have a perfect view. Someone had walked right up to it, the
footmarks were visible, so this person presumably has the best idea of the
exact state of moult. She also said that if the very hot weather returns it
is likely to walk into a shady spot. So if you go on a hot day, keep looking.

No birdwatchers were present when we were there but about 20 tourists have
now seen a recumbent Erect-crested Penguin through my telescope

It is a pity the proposed visitors' centre has not yet been constructed, as
this is going to floodlight the Apostles at night enabling night viewing of
this bird by people who have to go to work during the day

Margaret