birding-aus

Re: RFI: Malaysia

To: "Peter Thompson" <>
Subject: Re: RFI: Malaysia
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 97 22:07 CST
Fraser's Hill and Genting Highlands are two different places, with similar
habitats.

FH has a list of over 250 species, but many are real vagrants, even birds
that were only netted there during migration.  For a better indicator, at
the FH Bird Race (24 hours) in 1993, the winning team had 98 species, many
by voice, so 200 is very unlikely.  But a large proportion of the birds are
spectacular, such as Rhinocerous Hornbill, Fire-tufted Barbet, Red-headed
Trogon, and on and on.  Though development continues, it really is a
wonderful place.  To add to what Kim wrote, another bonus is that you can
get there by public transport, from the main bus station (Pudu Raya) to
Kuala Kubu Baru.  From KKB, there are occasional busses, but a taxi is not
that expensive.  It's only about 100 Km total from KL.

Another place for a day trip is Templer Park, just north of the city.

Why bother with Singapore??
---------