birding-aus

First Meeting

Subject: First Meeting
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 07:35:16 +1000
Folks:

My mother always said that my middle name should have been "Trouble."

Thursday (6 February) was the Queensland Ornithological Society's first
meeting for 1997; my first as the newly elected President.  Our format is
simple enough: a little in-house, a short talk and then the evening's main
speaker followed by supper.

Sometime around 5 o'clock that afternoon I received a telephone call from
Nambour Hospital to inform me that the main speaker's daughter had broken
her arm and that consequently the main speaker would be unable to make it to
Brisbane for the meeting!

Such is life.

I, we, survived.  Dr Carol Booth, one of the leading lights in the struggle
to stop Keith William's Hinchinbrook development and who was scheduled to
deliver the "short talk" was quite happy to extend her presentation to a
full 40 minutes (more like 50 by the time I felt it it necessary to put a
stop to members'  questions); a few video clips (Masked Booby on Lord Howe
Island, Emperor Penguin on Antarctica, the Bald Eagle, an amazing piece of
Russian filming following an eagle-owl in flight and a clip from a British
television program on twitchers).  Dr Diana O'Connor also happened to have
with her a collection of remarkable wader slides.  Easy really!

A salutory lesson.  I'll have five or so video clips and a few slides on
hand for the rest of the year.  But lighting doesn't strike twice in the
same place, does it?

Julian

Julian Bielewicz
President