birding-aus

PETITION

To: Mark Barter <>,
Subject: PETITION
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 07:24:06 +1000
FOLKS:

In an earlier posting I refered to the conservation work being undertaken by
the hard-working souls of the Japan Wetlands Action Network.  The communique
from Maggie wasn't quite pleasant bedtime reading.  The notes came with a
summary and petition which we are asked to utilize as best we can.  I'd
stringly urge as many people as possible to copy the following sheets, get
as many signatures as possible and sent them to the stated address AS SOON
AS POSSIBLE.

PETITION TO CALL FOR REVIEW OF THE ISAHAYA BAY LAND RECLAMATION PROJECT

To:     The Minister of Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries of Japan
                The Director-General of the Environment Agency of Japan
        The Minister of Finance of Japan

From: The International Citizens' Committee to Save Isahaya Bay's Tidal Flats

The nationally-funded Isahaya Bay Land Reclamation Project commenced
construction in 1988, and the seawall which will cut off Japan's largest
tidal flat wetland (3,000ha.) from the sea is slated for completion in
spring 1997. However, there are numerous problems with this project, as
elaborated below.

In view of these problems, we respectfully call for construction of the
seawall to be suspended and a thorough review of the project to be
undertaken without delay.

The project's goals are stated to be :

1) High productivity/high profit agriculture (on reclaimed land) such as
dairy and beef cattle and vegetables; and

2) Disaster prevention enhancement (against floods, high tides, and for
emergency drainage).

However::

        1. Enclosure of the bay by the seawall will cause numerous problems:

                1) The seawall is being constructed on a foundation of unstable
mud. This is hazardous

                2) The freshwater pond which will be created along with
the reclaimed land inside the seawall will not function as
planned because:

                i) Sedimentation will render non-functional both its planned 7.2
million cubic meter flood water retention capacity and its
ability to receive emergency drainage water from
surrounding lowlands.

                ii) The formation of a delta at the mouth of the Honmyo River
flowing into the pond will cause flood waters to be forced back
upstream.

                iii) Impoundment of fresh water will cause deterioration of
water quality.

                3) The best fish spawning grounds in the Ariake Sea (of which
Isahaya Bay is part) will be obliterated.

                4) Endemic tidal flat organisms will be exterminated,
contradicting Japan's "National Biological Diversity Strategy."

                5) An essential wintering and stopover site for migratory birds
will be obliterated in spite of international calls for the
protection of such sites under the Ramsar Convention, etc.

        2. Creation of reclaimed land goes against the present national policy
of reducing rice production.Policies encouraging reduced rice production
have been in place for decades. Creation of 1600 ha. of agricultural
land through land reclamation is not only unnecessary but wasteful.

        3. The budget for this project has already swelled from 135 billion yen
to 237 billion yen, and threatens to further drain the already strapped
national treasury, endangering allocations for  welfare services. This
goes against the grain of present policies of budgetary reform.

We, the undersigned, are in agreement with the summary above, and call for
suspension and immediate review of the Isahaya Bay Land Reclamation Project:

NAME & ADDRESS                                               SIGNATURE

1.__________________________________________________________________

2.__________________________________________________________________

3.__________________________________________________________________

4.__________________________________________________________________

5.__________________________________________________________________

6.__________________________________________________________________

7.__________________________________________________________________

8.__________________________________________________________________

9.__________________________________________________________________

10._________________________________________________________________

PLEASE RETURN THIS PETITION TO:
The International Citizens Committee to Save Isahaya Bay's Tidal
Flats
c/o Hachiro Yamaguchi (Chairman)
617-11 Ofuna-koshi-machi
Isahaya-shi Nagasaki-ken 854 Japan

(For more information, please contact:
Maggie Suzuki
Japan Wetlands Action Network International Liaison
tel/fax: +81-879-33-6763
email:
279-1 Kureha Hiketa-cho Okawa-gun Kagawa-ken 769-29 Japan)
Julian Bielewicz
12 Florence Street
Kippa Ring, Q. 4021
Australia