birding-aus

Birds on a bike ride 1

Subject: Birds on a bike ride 1
From: "Martin O'Brien" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:14:19 -0812 (utc)
While out for my regular weekend morning ride along Melbourne's (Victoria,
Australia) Yarra boulevard
in the suburb of Kew, the following birds were heard.

Date was 8/12/96. Time 0700-0730 hrs EST and the road was quiet, except for the
TV crew flying
along in an open truck at the Burnley/Kew end of the Boulevard.

The Boulevard is a winding, mostly eucalypt bushland lined road that follows
the Yarra river for approx.
8 km (the section I rode).  Birds recorded were not unusual but I thought it
worth noting there
presence for a spot only a few km's from the central business district of
Melbourne.

I will try to report my observations to this list for the spot on a regular
basis and maybe some
interesting patterns will become apparent.

Laughing Kookaburra - pr. heard calling @ jn. of Burnley St. &Yarra R.
footbridge
Bell Miners - numerous heard in riparian Eucalypts upstream of footbridge
Willy Wagtails - several on
Red-rumped Parrots - 2 prs. observed on road edge near Studley Park Rd.
overpass.
Red Wattlebirds - numerous heard calling along the entire section of the
Boulevard.
Little Flacons (Aust. Hobby) - Pr. heard then seen in courtship flight high
above the lookout point near
Willsmere Estate.
Mistletoe Bird - 1 heard calling at the Grange Rd. Bridge (Eucalypts line both
sides of the river at this
point.
Plus Blackbirds, Sparrows and European Greenfinches.

(Recorded while in training for the Alpine Audax, to be held in Bright NE
Victoria , Australia Day
Weekend 1997)
Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Policy Officer
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
GPO Box 41
East Melbourne,  3002
Victoria, AUSTRALIA