birding-aus

Re: Key field characteristics of ASw

Subject: Re: Key field characteristics of ASw
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 96 12:10:31 -0400
John Leonard said....

  "I don't agree about the Atherton Scrub-Wren, I missed lots of things on
the
  Tablelands, but I did see an ASW at the Crater. Later at Mt Lewis, one
  hopped over my boot as I was sitting by the track, if it had been a LBSW
it
  would have been perched on my head."

This is obviously the definitive field character for distinguishing these
two species.  Why is it not mentioned in S&D, Pizzey etc.  I once had a
Golden-headed Cisticola perch and sing on my car aerial.  Do Zitting
Cisticolas do this?

We could see a revolution in field guide illustration.

Stephen Clark
CSIRO Division of Plant Industry
Canberra 2601 Australia
Phone 06 246 5417