birding-aus

Superb Parrots

Subject: Superb Parrots
From: (hillier lab)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 11:33:11 +0000
Hi everyone,
        I went to Barmah on the weekend in search of the Superb Parrots.
Both Mark Bennett and I found a number of small flocks of Superb Parrots on
the Saturday just North of Nathalia.  I got a very good look at a couple of
females but didn't get excellent views of the males (just saw a couple fly
quickly past).  In all I saw about 20 birds with the largest single flock
comprising about 12 birds however I think Mark got a few more.
        Not much else was particularly exciting although we found a Southern
Boobook moving around in the middle of the day.  The day got very dark just
before a thunderstorm hit and I saw the Boobook fly over me into a large gum.
We watched it for at least half an hour as it  was harried by Willie
Wagtails, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes and White-plumed Honeyeaters.  The
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes were really giving it stick definitely hitting it
a number of times.  It kept moving around in the tree even returning to its
hollow for a while and then coming out again.
        Other birds included Yellow Thornbill, Sacred Kingfisher, Rainbow Bee-
eater, Pallid Cuckoo, Crested Shrike-tit, Crimson Rosellas (Yellow form),
Common Bronzewing, Spotted Pardalote, Crested Pigeon and Red-rumped Parrot.

                                                Best Wishes
                                                John Boyce