birding-aus

Re: Birds Mobbing Possums

Subject: Re: Birds Mobbing Possums
From: Neil Waller <>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 10:36:52 +0930
A few years ago I saw a pair of owls chasing a possum (probably a
ring-tail since they are the local possum) in the local park - Heywood
Park in Unley Park just south of the city of Adelaide.

The possum scampered down one tree, across the ground, and up another
with the owls in hot pursuit.

At the weekend I heard a talk by Gabrielle Crowley who is studying
the Glossy Black Cockatoo on KAngaroo Island.

They are finding it necessary to protect nesting hollows from brush
tailed possums who eat the eggs.

When there are less than 200 birds they need all the help they can get!

--
Neil Waller
Department of Environment and Natural Resources, South Australia