birding-aus

Wollongong, NSW, Australia Feb 1996

Subject: Wollongong, NSW, Australia Feb 1996
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:28:14 EST10
WOLLONGONG NSW BOAT TRIP REPORT - 25.2.96.
Those (15 PEOPLE ONLY - THANKS FOR THEIR SUPPORT!!!) on board: Phil Hansbro,
Peter Milburn, Tony Palliser, Chris Brandis, John Reidy, Andi Anderson, Paul
Taylor, Joanne Ford, John Lowes and his wife (sorry!), Annie Leckie +2, Joan
Harrison and Jazelle Dentremont.
The sea had a 1M swell and there was a 10 knot South Easterly. We headed South
East to 1 trawler which held most of the birds, but not the Gould's Petrels. We
saw lots of cetaceans all day.
A good trip with birds all day. The highlights were undoubtedly the Gould's
Petrels which were great and gave excellent views.
BIRD LIST
Little Penguin 1+
Great-winged Petrel 30+
GOULD'S PETREL 2 gave excellent prolonged views
Flesh-footed Shearwater 30+
Wedge-tailed Shearwater 250+
Short-tailed Shearwater 3+
Fluttering Shearwater 2+
A. Pelican 4
Kelp Gull 10+
Silver Gull 10+
Arctic Skua 5
Pomarine Skua 25+
Long-tailed Skua 3+
Common Tern 1
Crested Tern 10+
Little Pied Cormorant 1
Great Cormorant 1
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo 2 from the harbour.

Shoirt-finned Pilot Whale 20+, Risso's Dolphin 10+, Common Dolphin 6.
The next trip from Wollongong is on Sunday the 24th of March and there are lots
of places left.
Cheers
Phil Hansbro
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association
If you would like to go on any pelagic trips off NSW, contact me as follows;
Email;
Ph; (h) 06-2498234, (w) 06-2493091.
Fax; 06-2494891.