birding-aus

Best Birding Experience 1995

Subject: Best Birding Experience 1995
From: (Michael Powell)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 11:57:37 +1000
I bought my first Spotting Scope in April 1995 on a trip to Bali.
I was setting it up for the first time in my second floor hotel room
with wonderful rural views of Ubud, when a Java Kingfisher came an alighted
in a nearby tree.
On that day I felt sure he came just for me.
He was just the right distance away. He positioned himself on a leafless
branch, facing the right way with the light over my shoulder, and he stayed
for about 90 seconds, long enough for me to focus, zoom, and watch in wonder
all the magnificent colours in his plumage. He stayed long enough for my
wife to admire him at leisure, and then he flew away.
We were so excited to see the bird so wonderfully clear and so close through
the scope. He must of felt our pleasure because he told his companion, who
also came and sat on the same branch and stayed just long enough to give the
same joy again.
So often Birdwatching can be frustrating for so many reasons, but this was a
memorable experience because we had a very co-operative bird
(or two) and the ambience and the conditions were perfect.
A very happy New Year to you all
Cheers
Mike

Michael Powell