birding-aus

Nesting Great Crested Grebes

Subject: Nesting Great Crested Grebes
From: Kim Lim <>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 13:06:58 +0800
Greetings all,
This morning on the way to work I had another look at the Great Crested
Grebes that were nesting at Lake Monger in Perth. I counted 12 nests sited
linearly along the edge of this freshwater lake, on the leeward side of a
large reed-bed. The nests were very close to the bank, up to 3 metres, and
there was a busy cycling track nearby. Distance between nests ranged from 3
to 15 metres apart.
Most birds were still sitting but two pairs were already escorting young. Do
GCGs usually nest in such close proximity to each other?
Cheers!

Kim