birding-aus

Backyard lists in Canberra

Subject: Backyard lists in Canberra
From: DAVID MCDONALD <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 22:25:39 +1000
Hello all.

Fellow Canberra birder John Leonard asked us these questions:
    How long is the average back-yard list?
    Which city is the best for native birds in back-yards?
    Do you get more bush birds in country-town back yards?

and advised us that
    (All right, our back-yard list is 41 after 7 months in an older Canberra
    suburb; another birding friends has 57 after three years in a similar
suburb).

The Canberra Ornithologists Group (COG) publishes an excellent Annual Bird
Report (ABR).  Unfortunately the most recently published is for the year ended
30 June 1991.  We are well advanced in updating our software and data
management systems with the result that we will soon become, and remain,
up-to-date with the ABR.

Anyway, the 1990/91 ABR shows a total of 119 species reported for Canberra.
This was from 86 observers.  Most reports were for Canberra city, from COG's
long-running Garden Bird Survey.

BTW.  I'm not a statistician but if you answer John's question 'How long is the
average [Canberra] back-yard list?' by dividing 119 by 86, concluding that the
mean number of species observed in Canberra gardens was 1.4, I suspect you'd be
awfully wrong (;-).  In our Kambah suburban backyard, only seen by my partner
and me at weekends, we've listed 31 species so far since 1 July 1995.

David
David McDonald          Voice:      +61-6-231 8904 (home)
PO Box 1355             Voice:      +61-6-274 0200 (work)
WODEN  ACT  2606        Facsimile:  +61-6-274 0201 (work)
AUSTRALIA               E-mail:       (home)
                        E-mail:  (work)