birding-aus

Backyard lists

Subject: Backyard lists
From: (Stephen Clark)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 95 09:42:26 EST
Our home is in Hamilton, Victoria (I'm only in Canberra for two years).
Since 1985 my list (including seen from) is 74.  Our house is in a suburban
street but backs onto the Grange Burn and overlooks paddocks so this helps
our list substantially.  Most houses in our area have non-native gardens and
the bird numbers and diversity have increased in recent years as our mostly
native garden has established.  One good thing about our neigborhood is that
few people have cats.

Highlights on the list are Grey Goshawk, Little Eagle, Little Button-quail,
Latham's Snipe, four Lorikeets, Fork-tailed Swift, Red-browed Firetail,
Masked Woodswallow and Pink-eared Duck.  The L B-q turned up in our front
yard one morning and stayed for a week or so.  The Goshawk came in winter in
three successive years - my wife first spotted it and described it as an odd
cockatoo being chased by Magpies).  The R-b F's arrived in the garden one
afternoon and stayed for about an hour.  I have not seen them within 15km of
town before.  Apart from blackbirds and starlings we have few introduced
species in our neighbourhood.  Indian Mynahs have not made it that far west
yet although I think they have reached the eastern outskirts of Ballarat.

I haven't been keeping a list for our house in Canberra but doubt if it
would turn out to be as rich as Hamilton.

Regards

Steve Clark