birding-aus

...no subject...

Subject: ...no subject...
From: <> (hillier lab)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 9:53:16 MUT
Hi everyone,
        with regard to back yard lists I have a list for my parents house
which is in the country and a (very pitiful) list for my house in the city.
With regard to the country list my parents live on a farm near a small town
called Briagolong in east Gippsland about 40 km from Sale.  They have a
garden which is in the order of half an acre and the list for the garden
includes birds seen in, or from, the garden. After keeping lists for about 15
years the total is between 85 and 87 (from memory). If you disallow birds
seen from the garden it would remove raptors and ducks and would make a
difference of about 10-20 birds I think.  Some of the interesting birds
include Satin Bowerbird, White-browed and Dusky Woodswallow, Dollarbird,
Wonga Pigeon, Stubble Quail, Barn Owl, Tawny Frogmouth, Boobook Owl, Common
Bronzewing, Collared Sparrowawk, Brown Goshawk, Chestnut-breasted Mannikin,
Yellow, Brown, Striated and Yellow-rumped Thornbill.  Also birds to have
nested in the garden include White-browed and Dusky Woodswallows, Black-faced
Cuckoo Shrike, Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Striated Pardalote, Yellow-faced
Honeyeater, Superb Blue Wren, Welcome Swallow, Blackbird and Brown Thornbill
with Richards Pipit and Masked Lapwing nesting just outside.  While at home
this weekend King Parrots were feeding from the bird feeder with Galahs,
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Crimson Rosellas, Blue Wrens and Sparrows.
        Compare this to my city list.  I live in a semi detached house in
Flemington, Melbourne.  Very inner city living with almost no yard.  I think
I would struggle to get my list over 15 and the only bird of note is an
Australian Hobby which often perches on the high rise flats behind the house.

                                               John Boyce