birding-aus

Re: Albert Park &c

Subject: Re: Albert Park &c
From: Bill Venables <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:09:55 +0930
>>>>> "John" == John Leonard <> writes:

John> I was interested by Russell's comments on Albert Park and
John> certainly agree with him about what a worrying precedent
John> the specific legislation to put aside the environmental
John> safeguards is.

Worrying, certainly, but hardly a precedent; his precendts were
set long ago.  This action of Kennert follows naturally from the
rest of his style, particularly the savagery of the judiciary
which was almost his first act in power.  Bjelke Peterson never
understood what the separation of powers was; Kennert understands
all right, but will not be bound by it.

In the present case the legal obligation to do an environmental
impact assessment was clear, but that was an impediment to JK, so
the law was ammended accordingly.  So what's new?  Isn't
government all about getting your own way in all things?

I repeat, the man's a megalomaniac, but does not have the wit to
understand the long term implications of his actions.

The rest of John's note reminded me somewhat of Tim Flannery's
argument in "The Future Eaters".  Anyone who has not read this
book already should do so immediately.  The section on the Maori
destruction of the prolific New Zealand avifauna is particularly
poignant for this group, and particularly instructive.

Bill