birding-aus

Re: Snipe banding results - Belmont Common, Geelong

Subject: Re: Snipe banding results - Belmont Common, Geelong
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 16:16:20 +1000
Dear All,

I have been keeping an attentive eye on birding-aus for a few months now
without contributing.  However, after Chris's comments about the netting
and Lawrie's reply, I must put in my two cents worth.  I am a A-class bird
bander and have done a bit of cannon-netting as well.  I have never noticed
any weight loss by retrapped banded land birds caught 6-24h later.  I am
sure there is short-term physiological stress but I believe that there are
few lasting effects.  Otherwise this kind of thing would be well known in
the literature.

David Milton

David Milton    E-mail address:
CSIRO Division of Fisheries
PO Box 120
Cleveland 4163 Qld
AUSTRALIA
Ph: (61) 7 3286 8241    Fax: (61) 7 3286 2582
E-mail: