birding-aus

Re: New Oil Slick

Subject: Re: New Oil Slick
From: Bill Venables <>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 00:41:01 +0930

Russell> Word is filtering through about a large oil slick near
Russell> ASHMORE REEF, west of Darwin, NT.  Nobody seems to be
Russell> saying much, but two sources have been suggested: (A) lost
Russell> / dumped from an unknown vessel; or (B) released from on
Russell> shore.  This does not bode well for marine life and birds
Russell> around the reef.  Can anyone tell us more - and more about
Russell> the nature of the reef itself?

All I can say is that it is a `traditional' fishing area for the
Indons, mostly for clam and beche-de-mer (sea cucumbers, ascidians,
whatever...) and from all accounts it is pretty debilitated
already.  There was a Geo (blush) article about it a while back.
An oil slick won't help, though.

Russell> On a brighter note, the Point Hinchinbrook Resort
Russell> development has not had everything its own way.  Developer
Russell> Keith Williams has been told that he may NOT clear
Russell> mangroves to build a beach.  The Queensland Government
Russell> gave the project an OK, but Federal Conservation Minister
Russell> John Fawlkner (sp.?)  stepped in and vetoed the plan.  I
Russell> believe that the mangroves are listed under certain
Russell> environmental protection conventions.

John Faulkner is not a popular man around Cardwell.  Back in July
when I was last there, as we arrived in the town we were visually
assaulted by a large, rudely lettered, red-necky looking sign
announcing "Senator Faulkner's Folly!!!" and going on to explain in
great detail what his errors, misdemeanors and crimes were.  I
thought to myself then that he must be doing something right...

On the matter of alarming developments, I was informed today that
Broome is getting ready to boom, Cairns style, largely by French
(well, that *was* the plan...) and Japanese money.  (This was by
someone seriously thinking of taking part in it.)  Broome is a
major wader stopover place for the migration; does anyone know if
the mangroves and mudflats around Broome are in any way protected?

Bill
William Venables, Department of Statistics,  Tel.: +61 8 303 3026
The University of Adelaide,                  Fax.: +61 8 303 3696
South AUSTRALIA.     5005.   Email: