birding-aus

Re: Listing Areas

Subject: Re: Listing Areas
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 12:03:08 +1000 (EST)
Tony,
Thanks for your thoughts.

I think it would be sensible to define lists that correspond to ABA lists
on the same basis.  A number of us put in ABA list totals and it would be
confusing to have one total for the American Birding Assoc and another
for the Australian Birding Assoc.

In our area, the only list reported by the ABA is Australasia (NOT
Australia).  So this means that we should not include Cocos-Keeling,
Christmas Island or Macquarie Island in our Australasia total.

It would be logical for Australian birders to have an Australian list.
And in principle, it would be possible to include the three islands
mentioned earlier in that list, even though they were not included in
the Australasian list.

If there were to be a vote on this, and these matters should probably be
put to a vote(it's probably best to conduct the vote via Australian
Birding), I would vote against including the islands because they would
also figure on other lists relevant to Australia, notably Indian Ocean
and Southern Ocean.

I'd like to hear anyone else's thoughts on the matter.

Would anyone like me to restate the definitions of the American Birding
Association lists?

John Penhallurick