birding-aus

Nankeen Kestrel in Parramatta

Subject: Nankeen Kestrel in Parramatta
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 2:38:35
Hi everyone

Someone asked a while ago about seeing birds in built up/city areas.  I work
on the 15th floor of a building in Parramatta (a city in its own right) and
have recently been seeing a Nankeen Kestrel in GREAT circumstances.

It comes and sits right on the balcony on the 15th floor so that, when you're
standing inside the building at the windows, it's only five feet away so you
get a terrific view of its feathers and markings.   It can see your movement
behind the glass but it doesn't scare the bird off.  Every so often I also see
it soaring around the building - wonderful.

(Can't get a photo as we can't go out on the balcony and we have funny
venetian blinds behind the glass.)

My building is next to Parramatta River so perhaps it's getting rats etc. from
the riverbanks.

All of this impacts upon productivity around here whilst I drag people over to
the window to show them the Kestrel.
Almost makes it worth it to come to work!!!

Irene Denton
Sydney   NSW
Australia