birding-aus

Pardalotes and Currawongs

Subject: Pardalotes and Currawongs
From: DAVID MCDONALD <>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 21:46:11 +1000
Hello all

I think I mentioned a week ago that we had Spotted Pardalotes digging a tunnel
in a hanging pot plant on our verandah.  Spring time behaviour.  Nothing rare
about that.

What is interesting and a bit upsetting is the reaction of the Pied Currawongs.
 Three came to the basket and dug up the tunnel.  There were no adult birds in
it, nor had they even got to the point of making a nest at the end of the
tunnel.

It really is fascinating.  The Currawongs must have observed the Pardalotes
digging the tunnel and came in (prematurely) for the kill.

I did not see them at it but my partner did.  She recons that the look in their
eyes was deadly!

David
David McDonald          Voice:      +61-6-231 8904 (home)
PO Box 1355             Voice:      +61-6-274 0200 (work)
WODEN  ACT  2606        Facsimile:  +61-6-274 0201 (work)
AUSTRALIA               E-mail:       (home)
                        E-mail:  (work)