birding-aus

Lssr Yellowlegs etc

Subject: Lssr Yellowlegs etc
From: (Chris Gladwin)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 16:28:00 +0000
     So this is not a debate on Lssr Yellowlegs vs "poxy brown birds"  nor
     is it likely to develop into a debate on twitchers vs other forms of
     birdwatching.  It has the potentail to develop into what is the BEST
     type of birdwatching.  The answer is ...  whatever takes your fancy.
     If we all birdwatched in the same way it would spoil the fun.  It
     would be like everyone supporting the same footy team or drinkimg the
     same beer.  We are spoilt with choice in everything we do, including
     birwatching.  There is no best or correct way.  It doesn't have to
     contribute anything to science.  Who cares about the scientists.  I
     birdwatch purely and totally for my own selfish enjoyment and I have
     no shame in that..  Everyone has twitched at sometime just like
     everyone has driven over the speed limit at some time.  I'm not aware
     that any of the weekend trip reports actually involved twitching.  I'd
     love to have had a rarity around to twitch.  I certainly didn't see
     anything "new" but I could have done so if I'd been a little more
     adventurous.  Getting more enjoyment out of seeing Lssr Yellowlegs
     rather than Chirruping wedgebills is more to do with the fact that it
     is a wader and only waders and seabirds really matter in the world
     afterall!   Everything else is just filling.  Anyone who has been to
     America would have seen Lssr Yellowlegs anyway.  So it was more the
     opportunity to bask in a REAL bird.  It's been a busy day today!
     Chris Gladwin