ts-7000

[ts-7000] Re: Booting from sd-card (ts-7500)

Subject: [ts-7000] Re: Booting from sd-card (ts-7500)
From: "Christian" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:45:31 -0000
Hi Jonatan

I have recently bought a TS-7500 without TS-752 and without the SD card. So, I
did this:

 -To connect I used telnet, because I have no SSH till I put my root pass
inside, the full debian distro. Inside the 7500 I found TSLINUX so, I made the
changes you said:

     1. rm linuxrc; ln -sf /linuxrc-sdroot /linuxrc; save
     2. vi linuxrc-sdroot

        #if [ "$bootdev" == "0x1" ]; then
            mount -oro /dev/nbd9 /mnt/root
        #fi

        (because you said, comment the condition, so I only comment it, right?)

     3. I took a microSD, formatted in ext3, and:

        dd if=/dev/mySD of=images.dd

        I tried with these to images:

        2gbsd-2.6.36-nov122010.dd.bz2
        2gbsd-eclipse-latest.dd.bz2

     4. Once I have placed the SD and changed what you said I type
reboot inside TSLINUX, but, nothing happens, the changes Ive made turn back,
and I cant load Debian from SD.

I think that could be a wrong image, or, wrong command from TSlinux but,
Please, If there's something missing, or some other steps you know that I'm
missing, let me know. Which image did you use to get it working, I'm freeze in
this point, so I cant start with my TS, help will be very important

--- In  Jonatan Olofsson <> wrote:

> For future reference, here is how i solved the issue of booting from the sd
> without the TS-752.
>
> Please comment if i've misunderstood something. Perhaps this could have been
> done in a more appropriate matter, and if so it would be interesting to
> know.
>
> After setting the linuxrc symlink to linuxrc-sdroot and saving to the
> onboard flash (as suggested in the manual), I also edited the linuxrc-sdroot
> file and simply removed the condition in the statement
>
> if [ "$bootdev" == "0x1" ]; then
>
>   mount -oro /dev/nbd9 /mnt/root
>
> fi
>

> This removes the check for the bootmode in the case that an sd-card is
> present. Note however that the linuxrc-file later checks for certain files
> to be present on the sd-card before booting to it, so removing the sd-card
> during bootup will make the script fall back to the usual fastboot.
>
> This does not only remove the need to manually pull pin 7 down, it also
> allows me to continue use the very same pin as the console tx.
>
> Thank you for the help and hint of reading the linuxrc-files more closely,
> it certainly gave a lot more understanding of the boot process!
>
> Best regards,
> Jonatan Olofsson
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 22:50, Jonatan Olofsson
> <>wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > Thank you very much. You are right, i'm not using the TS-752. I thought,
> > after reading the manual, that DIO_7 only set the default boot
> > source and that i could reach the SD by typing 'exit' in the ts-linux
> > prompt. Thank you again for clearing that up.
> >
> > I will also look into the boot-scripts as you suggested
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Jonatan
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 20:10, David <> wrote:
> >

> >> You don't mention the TS-752. If you are using it, make sure to set it do
> >> that you are booting from the SD card and not from the Flash. Otherwise
> >> you'll need to pull DIO_07 (MODE1) down by some other means.
> >>
> >> I spent several days thoroughly confused by the boot modes in the TS-7500.
> >> Sure the docs explain it all, but it was not obvious to me for a while.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the most confusing part is that booting from flash and from SD
> >> both look almost identical. The only difference is a small message saying
> >> the boot source.
> >>
> >> When you boot from the SD, you initially boot into the initrd partition of
> >> the card which is (again) almost identical to the one in the Flash. However
> >> booting into the Flash initrd does not allow you (out of the box) to fall
> >> back to the SD Debian partition. Booting from the SD card will let you do
> >> that.
> >>
> >> In the end it is possible to move from the flash to the SD debian
> >> partition, but a bit of work is required.
> >>
> >> My suggestion is to spend some time looking at the different linuxrc
> >> scripts in the initrd partition to really understand what is going on at
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: