pwc

Re: [pwc] Multiple webcams

To: Gilles GIGAN <>
Subject: Re: [pwc] Multiple webcams
From: Mathieu Bouchard <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 11 May 2008, Gilles GIGAN wrote:

I just wanted to confirm whether or not you can use more than one webcam
at the same time on the same computer, all using the same pwc driver
instance ? So far, my tests with 2 webcams have failed.

You have to check how USB connectors are grouped on your computer. On the
one that I had to use with 6 PWC cams at once, there were 8 USB plugs, but
4 controllers. There's a bandwidth limit per controller, not just per
plug.

You *have* to set the framerate of each camera in advance: just changing
your rate of frame-query won't change the bandwidth. This is done with a
PWC-specific call. Changing resolution will help even more. I don't know
how much changing the compression-level (PWC-specific) helps, I didn't see
any doc for that, and I don't know anything that measures the amount or
percentage of bandwidth taken by a certain combination of options.

I have also encountered problems of power and signal strength for which
diagnosis was pretty close to impossible, as error messages were evasive
or errors were not checked for and some reactions were just weird: e.g.
with some computers, all cameras halt at once, and on some others, a very
bad multitasking occurs between them.

Counterintuitively, my laptop had a so much more better ability to handle
cameras than the desktop computer, and was wildly above standards for
allowed hubless wire length, and perhaps even total wattage; and this
misled me at first. Don't assume that those things have anything to do
with the strength of the power-supply.

If you have any problems with hubs, or with "active cables" (which are
just single-port hubs), then make sure you disable USB2 in your BIOS (I
hope that you have that option! not all computers have it).

This may be the second time I write all of this, but I don't recall. Maybe
you can find some other mail of mine last year that had some other tips.