pwc

[pwc] Audio problems with 10.0.6a

Subject: [pwc] Audio problems with 10.0.6a
From: Fredrik Karlsson <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:27:37 +0200
Hi all,

I have a problem with  a Logitech QuickCam Notebook Pro and the pwc driver.
The picture I get is ok, but it seems that I cannot get eny sound from the cam.

Here's some info--

>From dmesg:

pwc Logitech QuickCam Notebook Pro USB webcam detected.
pwc Registered as /dev/video0.
usb 2-1: modprobe timed out on ep0out
usb 2-1: modprobe timed out on ep0out
usbcore: registered new driver snd-usb-audio
usbcore: registered new driver audio
drivers/usb/class/audio.c: v1.0.0:USB Audio Class driver

Video works fine in for instance gnomemeeting, and I have been able to
access the second sound device through alsamixer:
Kod:

alsamixer -c 1

However, I cannot get audio to work in, for instance, gnomemeeting.
There is just no audio and the the audio controls in gnomemeeting are
dimmed.
This is not a permissions issue:
Kod:

theodor sound # arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel
82801DB-ICH4]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 1: Intel ICH - MIC
ADC [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 2: Intel ICH - MIC2
ADC [Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC2 ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: I82801DBICH4 [Intel 82801DB-ICH4], device 3: Intel ICH - ADC2
[Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - ADC2]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 1: U0x46d0x8b1 [USB Device 0x46d:0x8b1], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
theodor sound # ls -al
totalt 0
drwxr-xr-x  1 root    root       0  1 jan  1970 .
drwxr-xr-x  1 root    root       0  1 jan  1970 ..
crw-------  1 fredrik audio 14, 12  1 jan  1970 adsp
crw-------  1 fredrik audio 14,  4  1 jan  1970 audio
crw-rw----  1 fredrik audio 14, 20  1 jan  1970 audio1
crw-------  1 fredrik audio 14,  3  1 jan  1970 dsp
crw-rw----  1 fredrik audio 14, 19  1 jan  1970 dsp1
crw-------  1 fredrik audio 14,  0  1 jan  1970 mixer
crw-rw----  1 fredrik audio 14, 16  1 jan  1970 mixer1
crw-------  1 fredrik audio 14,  1  1 jan  1970 sequencer
crw-------  1 fredrik audio 14,  8  1 jan  1970 sequencer2
theodor sound #

The conents of the second sound decive:
Kod:

:~/nobackup$ amixer -c 1 controls
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Switch'
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Volume'
:~/nobackup$ amixer -c 1 contents
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=on
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='Mic Capture Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=1,min=0,max=3,step=0
  : values=3

Given the setup above, I would like to try recording using another
program. However,
Kod:

:~/nobackup$ arecord -D hw:1 -d 2 out.wav
Recording WAVE 'out.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
arecord: set_params:832: Sample format non available

Has anyone seen this? Is there a simple solution?

/Fredrik

--
My Gentoo + PVR-350 + IVTV + MythTV blog is on
http://gentoomythtv.blogspot.com/