Bluetooth transmitter + Pre-Amp

Subject: Bluetooth transmitter + Pre-Amp
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri May 31, 2019 11:52 am ((PDT))
Last week I tried recording overnight (with rain and snow showers) with a Z=
oom H3-VR ambisonic mic-recorder combination. I was able to use their iPhon=
e/Bluetooth remote control app at a distance of about 95=92 as long as I wa=
s holding the phone. It would lose connection when I laid it down on the gr=
ound. That system was reliable except one time at 1:30 AM I wanted to roll =
and it wouldn=92t connect. Needed to pee anyway. Got out of the sack and st=
umbled over to re-boot the recorder. Then the remote was fine through the e=
nd of the dawn chorus.

Pushing my luck, I tried using a TaoTronics TT-BA07 Bluetooth transmitter t=
o my Apple AirPods. I got fading in and out of the right channel with that,=
 even up close, so I gave up on it. I used a 100=92 headphone extension cab=
le to my tent. Today I tested the TaoTronics here in the lab and both chann=
els were good. When the signal got weak they both muted together, not what =
was happening in the field. Now I=92m wondering if the right-channel fading=
 was an analog connection problem (did I say rain and snow showers?) and no=
t to do with the RF link.

BTW I=92m not recommending this recorder for quiet soundscapes; in this loc=
ation there was a lot of creek noise so mic noise was no problem. It was my=
 first ambisonic recording. It was neat to be able to rotate the orientatio=
n of the recording 120=B0 in the studio to make a better perspective.

Regarding your desire to reduce noise, I suspect that, pointing up into an =
empty sky, you=92re working at the limit of the mic. The Telinga Pro-8 ster=
eo dish has a hot output that in ordinary situations has no need for a low-=
noise preamp. The environmental ambience is above the recorder=92s input no=
ise. I=92d rent or borrow a preamp (like Sound Devices MP-2 (no longer made=
)) to try before committing. Besides, adding another chunk in line decrease=
s reliability in the field and adds another battery consumer.

-Dan

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: