Re: Nagra SD versus Sony D100

Subject: Re: Nagra SD versus Sony D100
From: "Dom Hall" dominic.patagonia
Date: Thu Jan 4, 2018 10:33 am ((PST))
 Hi DanI have been using a Sony PCM D100 as a portable recorder for impromp=
tu recordings for around 6 months. I would say its better than my previous =
portable set up - an LS100 with paired EM172s into the xlr ports.=A0Only do=
wnside with the Sony (apart from no xlr and it's heavier=A0than my LS100) i=
s i find the mics are very wind sensitive. Depends where you are recording =
but in open areas i had to experiment a lot to cut wind noise. I ended up g=
etting a custom made deadcat for it.Here's an example of my Sony with the m=
ics at 120 deg, on a lyre, using the regular supplied deadcat.=A0
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/75854441

Towards the end you can hear the stereo soundstage quite well, though since=
 this was recorded i have mostly used it in XY.

Cheers
Dom

Dominic Garcia-Hall
www.antbirds.com
NY =A0+1 917 740 1945UK =A0+44 161 408 4002

  On Tuesday, January 2, 2018, 6:38:02 PM GMT, Dan Dugan  [=
naturerecordists] <> wrote:

 =A0
Every now and then I come across some interesting sounds, which I would lik=
e to be able to record using the best possible pocket-fitting recorder.
> At the moment I use Olympus LS100 which is actually a pretty good and wel=
l built piece of gear, but I wanted to upgrade.

I carry an Olympus LS-11 in the side pocket of my pack for opportunities.

> Someone has Nagra SD with their best Green mic set for sale at about 500 =
eur. I could buy a new Sony D100 for a bit more than that. The problem is t=
hat there isn't too many samples recorded with Nagra as with Sony, so I can=
't make any choice based on listening of both.

The Nagra SD is a very nice recorder to handle=97solid build and it has swi=
tches for a number of handy functions that require menus on other recorders=
. I don=92t think the mics are any quieter than other brands.

-Dan