Re: Fires take the home of Kat and Bernie Krause

Subject: Re: Fires take the home of Kat and Bernie Krause
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm ((PDT))
I wrote Bernie last night but unsurprisingly, have not heard back.

After relief at their personal safety, my first concern was for Bernie's
archive of recordings. I was profoundly relieved to read in a KQED story
today that there were off-site backups in two locations.

I will take this moment to beg, *beg*, people to please consider hosting a
copy of their archives with the nonprofit I work for, the Internet Archive.

We host, provide access to, and preserve digital works of cultural interest
free of charge in perpetuity. We also where appropriate derive
lower-bandwidth and streamable copies of full-resolution original works.

While our standard model is to host material that is released to the public
domain or under Creative Commons licenses (which include an option for
barring any commercial use without separate negotiation, etc.), for well
curated collections we also do at times preserve things with limited or no
public access now=96so that we have a copy for posterity.

If you have archives of your work, like Bernie's, which represent a
lifetime of irreplaceable soundscape of inestimable aesthetic and
scientific interest=96please, please, please, consider archiving a copy wit=
us, or somewhere similar.

These fires are yet another unnecessary reminder of how suddenly any single
copy of anything can be destroyed.

To quote the Stanford project which uses this name: Lots of Copies Keeps
Stuff Safe.

I apologize if this sounds like an advertisement. :/   The interest is 100%
in making sure the work we do is preserved for future generations. We are a
nonprofit funded entirely by donation grant and foundations, our mission
statements is: *universal access to all knowledge*.

I a moved to write by the deep sickening horror I felt at the notion that
Bernie's life work could have been lost. There were no words equal to that
loss. :(

aaron

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM,  [naturerecordists] =
<

--

  quietamerican.org
  oneminutevacation.org