1. Re: Stereo mic

Subject: 1. Re: Stereo mic
From: elkhornson
Date: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:40 am ((PDT))
No single solution or kit is going to be optimum and I prefer to create opt=
ions. A stereo mic is good for use when shooting videos where I want a good=
 sound capture and for overseas travel where carry-on space is very limitin=
g. An inexpensive stereo mic is going to be one developed for use with came=
ras and camcorders as this is the predominate market into which they are so=
ld.

I view the stereo mic as a way to reduce ambient noise where I have a singl=
e subject in an environment, and so an alternative to a XY/ORTF/SASS or sim=
ilar setup using two omni microphones. The most compact for ambient recordi=
ng has to be the coat hanger with two small omni microphones as was first c=
reated by Chris Watson.

I like the approach taken by Chris Watson where he layers recordings (using=
 shotgun and omni mics) from different spots along a beach to create a fina=
l production version in which he has mixed the tracks the way an engineer w=
ould in the studio when recording multiple musicians.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: