[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6743

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6743
From: "" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 01:30:28 +0000
There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Need advice on how best to use MKH 8020s in the field
    From: Jason Wolford

2a. Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
    From:  robin_parmar_sound
2b. Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
    From: Magnus Bergsson
2c. Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
    From: kev.

Messages
1a. Re: Need advice on how best to use MKH 8020s in the field
    Posted by: "Jason Wolford"
    Date: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:24 pm ((PST))

Thanks for keeping this thread going guys.
Still not sure which direction to go with those mics. My Crown SASS just
arrived and I am hoping to do the modifications soon. But am really
intrigued by the DIY approaches that are being suggested here.  Jecklin,
Sphere, SASS all sound like good options.

@Dan Dugan, interesting you should mention that ORTF gets high marks
positional information, I have a pair of MKH 8040s that I am trying to fit
into the mix in ORTF as well.

Thanks again for the advice,

Jason

Messages in this topic (10)
2a. Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
    Posted by:   robin_parmar_sound
    Date: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:08 am ((PST))

A quick point of information that not all Sound Devices pre-amps are made equal.

The 702/722/744 apparently do have the same pres. However the 788 is
dramatically improved, according to a white-paper on the SD website.

The pre-amps in the 633/664 are inferior to the 7 series, from usage reports
and SDs own tech specs. Though still very good, I am sure. Never used them
myself.

-- Robin Parmar

Messages in this topic (13)
2b. Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
    Posted by: "Magnus Bergsson"  icelandnature
    Date: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:38 pm ((PST))

Keep eye on Sonosax SX-4+
It is very nice & great sounding recorder. Not 2 channel, but 4 mic + 2
line input, which give more options.
Otherwise Nagra seven if you are only looking for 2 channel recorder

Bestu kveðjur / Best regards

*Magnús Bergsson*Tel: + 354 6162904
http://fieldrecording.net

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 9:18 AM,  [naturerecordists] <
> wrote:

> I am looking to purchase a simple 2 channel field recorder as I'll
> primarily be using it to record nature sounds and other outdoor
> sounds(city, trains, cars) but not limited to some Foley recording which is
> why I want to purchase someone on the hi-end of the quality spectrum.
>
> I'm eyeing the Sound Devices 702 and the Nagra Seven recorders. Both are 2
> channel and have good preamps. Price isn't an issue. I am trying to find
> out which of the two will be my best bet for years of dependable quality
> recording. Self noise, limiter, menu simple to navigate, and
> travel-friendliness is important.
>
> I know there are a lot of Sound Devices owners out there and I'm finding
> very little information on the Nagra Seven. Any input is welcome.
>

> Thanks.

Messages in this topic (13)
2c. Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
    Posted by: "kev."  weaveofkev
    Date: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:14 pm ((PST))

I read a few reviews on the Sonosax SX-4+ and have heard only good thing
about it. If it weren't above my price range i would seriously consider it.
Magnus, I saw your pictures on Facebook of you Sonosax SX-4+ in action.
It's also a stunning looking machine.
I'm also looking at the Zaxcom Maxx. It looks like it's Zaxcom's version of
the SD 744T. I decided if I'm going to put in over $3k towards a recorder I
should looking into 4+ tracks for versatility. I read the Maxx has the same
preamps as the Nomads, which are supposed to be very quiet preamps

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Magnus Bergsson
 [naturerecordists] <

--
“Have you ever heard a blindfolded octopus unwrap a cellophane-covered
bathtub?”

Messages in this topic (13)

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional