[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6693

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6693
From: "" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 09:13:32 +0000
There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Oh no - PCM-M10 discontinued. What to recommend instead?
    From: Peter Shute
1b. Re: Oh no - PCM-M10 discontinued. What to recommend instead?
    From: Gianni Pavan
1c. Re: Oh no - PCM-M10 discontinued. What to recommend instead?
    From: Peter Shute

Messages
1a. Re: Oh no - PCM-M10 discontinued. What to recommend instead?
    Posted by: "Peter Shute"  pshute2
    Date: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:37 am ((PST))

I read in several places opinion that the ICD SX2000 is the replacement, but I
have no idea about its recording quality. I can see the SX1000 has a 5 second
pre-record buffer, but can't see any mention of that for the SX2000.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

On 15 Nov. 2016, at 11:59 am, Jeremiah Moore
<> [naturerecordists]
<<>>
wrote:

I was just recommending my favorite tiny, PiP recorder to a colleague and went
to look up the current price - and discovered it's been discontinued.  (I'd
have bought a backup, had I seen it coming...!)

Any thought on what replaces it in the marketplace?

- Small

- Great converters, preamp and battery, for a pocket recorder

- Decent PiP power

Looks like Sony has reduced their field-recorders offering to one machine, the
D100, but it's not the same class of machine.  Much larger, etc.

-jeremiah

--

jeremiah moore  |  SOUND | San Francisco

<>

http://jeremiahmoore.com/<http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/>

m (+1)415.577.0045

The TANK Center for Sonic Arts | Rangely, Colorado

http://tanksounds.org/

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=aamVyZW1pYWhtb29yZUBnbWFpbC5jb20%3D&type=zerocontent&guid=2c8c017e-4803-416d-a43f-fdfd9617cff1]ᐧ;

Messages in this topic (4)
1b. Re: Oh no - PCM-M10 discontinued. What to recommend instead?
    Posted by: "Gianni Pavan"  gpavan1960
    Date: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:24 am ((PST))

Hi all, besides sound quality that needs to be tested to see if suits our
needs, there are some disappointing features listed on the SX2000 manual:

1 - You cannot record LPCM 96 kHz/24 bit audio directly to a
microSD/SDHC/SDXC card. 96/24 can't be selected if the destination memory
is the SD card !

      even worst, it seems that only 96/24 and 44/16 rec modes
are available !

                         You can select one of the following items:
                            LPCM 96kHz/24bit:
LPCM 44.1kHz/16bit:                            and then the usual MP3
formats.....
      by the way, for recording in 96/24 the internal memory is 12GB

2 - uses an internal rechargeable LiIon 3.7V battery  (so not easy to power
it with external batteries as with the SONY M10)

3 - Operate the unit only on 3.7 V DC with the built-in rechargeable
lithium-ion battery.

4 - Max 15 hours of recording time with the internal battery

5 - external powering by 5V USB (this could allow easy use of external USB
batteries)

Gianni

<>:

> I read in several places opinion that the ICD SX2000 is the replacement,
> but I have no idea about its recording quality. I can see the SX1000 has a
> 5 second pre-record buffer, but can't see any mention of that for the
> SX2000.
>
> Peter Shute
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 15 Nov. 2016, at 11:59 am, Jeremiah Moore <
> > [naturerecordists] <
> <>>
> wrote:
>

> I was just recommending my favorite tiny, PiP recorder to a colleague and
> went to look up the current price - and discovered it's been discontinued.
> (I'd have bought a backup, had I seen it coming...!)
>

> Any thought on what replaces it in the marketplace?
> - Small
> - Great converters, preamp and battery, for a pocket recorder
> - Decent PiP power
>

> Looks like Sony has reduced their field-recorders offering to one machine,
> the D100, but it's not the same class of machine. Much larger, etc.
>

> -jeremiah
>

> --
> jeremiah moore | SOUND | San Francisco
> <>
> http://jeremiahmoore.com/<http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/>
> m (+1)415.577.0045
>
> The TANK Center for Sonic Arts | Rangely, Colorado
> http://tanksounds.org/
> [https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=aamVyZW1pYWhtb29yZUBnbWFpbC5jb
> 20%3D&type=zerocontent&guid=2c8c017e-4803-416d-a43f-fdfd9617cff1]ᐧ

--
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Università degli Studi di Pavia

Messages in this topic (4)
    Date: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:32 pm ((PST))

The restricted recording modes and destinations make it seem like they've
deliberately limited this recorder.

For what it's worth, the SX1000 is compared to other recorders at
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm, but I don't know if the SX2000 can be
assumed to be similar.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

On 19 Nov. 2016, at 12:25 am, Gianni Pavan
<> [naturerecordists]
<<>>

<<>>:

I read in several places opinion that the ICD SX2000 is the replacement, but I
have no idea about its recording quality. I can see the SX1000 has a 5 second
pre-record buffer, but can't see any mention of that for the SX2000.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

On 15 Nov. 2016, at 11:59 am, Jeremiah Moore
<><m("northstation.net","jmoore");"><m("northstation.net","jmoore");">>>
 [naturerecordists]
<<><m("yahoogroups.com","naturerecordists");"><m("yahoogroups.com","naturerecordists");">>>>
 wrote:

I was just recommending my favorite tiny, PiP recorder to a colleague and went
to look up the current price - and discovered it's been discontinued. (I'd have
bought a backup, had I seen it coming...!)

Any thought on what replaces it in the marketplace?

- Small

- Great converters, preamp and battery, for a pocket recorder

- Decent PiP power

Looks like Sony has reduced their field-recorders offering to one machine, the
D100, but it's not the same class of machine. Much larger, etc.

-jeremiah

--

jeremiah moore | SOUND | San Francisco

<><m("northstation.net","jmoore");"><m("northstation.net","jmoore");">>>

http://jeremiahmoore.com/<http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/>

m (+1)415.577.0045<tel:%28%2B1%29415.577.0045>

The TANK Center for Sonic Arts | Rangely, Colorado

http://tanksounds.org/

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=aamVyZW1pYWhtb29yZUBnbWFpbC5jb20%3D&type=zerocontent&guid=2c8c017e-4803-416d-a43f-fdfd9617cff1]ᐧ;

--

Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali

Università degli Studi di Pavia

Via Taramelli 24, 27100 Pavia

http://www.unipv.it/cibra

http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it