Re: Advice on stereo mic technique

Subject: Re: Advice on stereo mic technique
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:25 pm ((PDT))
Thanks for your enquiry, Frank. And congrats on your retirement.

I=92d definitely go for a MS (Mid-Side) system of some kind, depending on y=
our budget. My preference is a pair of Sennheiser mics consisting of one MK=
H 30 (Fig. 8 pattern), and a MKH 40 (cardioid pattern), mounted in a Rykote=
 shock mount, in turn, mounted on a pistol grip that can be set on a tripod=
. But there are many different ways to skin that proverbial cat several of =
which are generally noted in my current book, Wild Soundscapes: Discovering=
 the Voice of the Natural World (Yale University Press, 2016).

There=92s also the Nature Recordist Group Group <=
ps.com> which is a world-wide chat room consisting of folks with experience=
 from novice to pro levels. Anyone can join and ask questions and expect to=
 get immediate and in-depth help. Because I=92m approaching my 9th decade, =
my time in the field and equipment requirements are limited to how light th=
ey are, now. So the information I can provide is not necessarily current.

Canada has some wonderful places to record. I=92ve done some in Algonquin P=
ark and Vancouver Island on land, and in other parts of BC in marine enviro=
nments. So you have a lifetime of places to hit. Don=92t be shy.

All the best and watch your levels,
Bernie Krause, PhD

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: biophony
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_n=
atural_world?language=3Den

>> From: Frank Antonsen <>
>> Subject: Advice on stereo mic technique
>> Date: September 30, 2016 at 3:30:38 PM PDT
>>
>> Hi Bernie Krause
>>
>> After 30 years doing TV news sound, I'm retiring
>> and am thinking about doing some audio recording
>> in the natural world.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions as to stereo recording
>> techniques and the most suitable microphones ?
>>
>> In the June issue of the Professional Sound Services
>> Newsletter there is a video of you out in the field
>> doing some recording. The wind zeppelin you're
>> using seems large enough to accommodate a directional
>> mic and a figure of 8 mic for M/S stereo. Is that a
>> good technique to use for natural soundscapes ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Frank Antonsen
>> Ottawa, Ontario
>>
>> ps I enjoyed hearing you being interviewed on CBC radio.

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: