[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6679

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6679
From: "" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 08:16:56 +0000
There are 6 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Bay Area, California suggestions
    From:  weaveofkev
1b. Re: Bay Area, California suggestions
    From: Bernie Krause
1c. Re: Bay Area, California suggestions
    From:  weaveofkev
1d. Re: Bay Area, California suggestions
    From: Dan Dugan

2a. Re: Surround recording (was Boston sounds)
    From: Arnþór Helgason
2b. Re: Surround recording (was Boston sounds)
    From: Bernie Krause

Messages
1a. Bay Area, California suggestions
    Posted by:   weaveofkev
    Date: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:09 am ((PDT))

Hello. I live in the Bay Area, specifically Berkeley, CA. I am trying to find
suggestions on where to go to capture active wildlife soundscapes. Living in
such a highly populated part of the world I am surround by sound pollution
which forces me to record foley type recordings and a lot of hydrophone/ocean
shore sounds... anything that will cover up the sound of a passing airplane or
a loud vehicle. As much I as like to think creatively I also would like to find
a spot in the nature for a good 8-10 hours and record a symphony of wildlife.
Are there any locals or other people who can recommend a place I can go to do
this? I'm prepared to accept the fact that I'm going have to drive 50+ miles
out of the Bay Area to successfully have a productive outing. I really could
use the help.. especially from anyone who has some specific spots to share.

 I'm geared up, keys in hand. Go!

 Kevin Durr

 Water Tone Wonderers http://www.watertonerecords.com

 http://www.watertonerecords.com

 Water Tone Wonderers http://www.watertonerecords.com Where field recordists,
musicians, and artists of all types unite to weave water with their craft.

 View on www.watertonerecord... http://www.watertonerecords.com

 Preview by Yahoo

 Sound Bite Capture https://soundcloud.com/evinurr-ieldecordings

 https://soundcloud.com/evinurr-ieldecordings

 Sound Bite Capture https://soundcloud.com/evinurr-ieldecordings For the most
part my audio posts range from field recordings to hydrophone recordings, and
sound design. Great currently used: 2 H2a-XLR hydrophones...

 View on soundcloud.com https://soundcloud.com/evinurr-ieldecordings

 Preview by Yahoo

Messages in this topic (4)
1b. Re: Bay Area, California suggestions
    Posted by: "Bernie Krause"  bigchirp1
    Date: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:33 am ((PDT))

There are a number of locations within reach of the Bay Area that are
accessible and where there are sufficient intervals that are noise-free to get
good recordings. My favorite, because it�s only a 20 minute drive from where we
live, is Sugarloaf State Park, where I�ve been recording for almost 2 decades,
now. It�s a 90 minute drive from Berkeley. The 3500+ acre site managed by
Sonoma State University, Galbreath Wildlands Reserve, off of Hwy 128, south of
Yorkville, (http://www.sonoma.edu/cei/galbreath/). It�s secondary growth area
w/ no buildings and 4Xdrive access by permission where I�ve recorded for hours
during the dawn and evening choruses, and even for long stretches during the
day w/o interference by road traffic or aircraft. Ledson Marsh, a good walk
from the nearest parking, is located in the southern part of Annadel State
Park, also within easy striking distance from where we live. Limantour Beach,
at Drake�s Bay, is another pretty quiet spot, even though there�s a VOR station
guiding inbound jet aircraft into SFO. The surf noise, pretty much masks any
jet engine signals (because they�re throttled back in descent), even though
they�re at around 15,000 feet at that point. I�ve counted and recorded at
nearly a dozen locations within a 90 min. drive of our home in Glen Ellen, so
there are lots of options.

Dan Dugan has been recording in Muir Woods, in Marin County just north of the
GG Bridge. He, and many of us, have recorded in and around Yosemite. The
eastern side of the Sierras, in Mono Lake,, is one of my favorite spots,
especially in the spring, not only with the California gulls, and other
breeding avian life, but also spade foot toads, and insect larvae that one can
pick up with hydrophones in the vernal pools that occur in late March/early
April (assuming enough winter precipitation). Also, foxes and coyotes. There
are several sub-alpine riparian sites within the area, as well.

So there�s a lifetime of recording to be done in this area, Kevin.

Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: biophony
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk:
https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world?language=en

On Sep 24, 2016, at 1:09 AM,  [naturerecordists]
<> wrote:

> Hello. I live in the Bay Area, specifically Berkeley, CA. I am trying to find
> suggestions on where to go to capture active wildlife soundscapes. Living in
> such a highly populated part of the world I am surround by sound pollution
> which forces me to record foley type recordings and a lot of hydrophone/ocean
> shore sounds... anything that will cover up the sound of a passing airplane
> or a loud vehicle. As much I as like to think creatively I also would like to
> find a spot in the nature for a good 8-10 hours and record a symphony of
> wildlife. Are there any locals or other people who can recommend a place I
> can go to do this? I'm prepared to accept the fact that I'm going have to
> drive 50+ miles out of the Bay Area to successfully have a productive outing.
> I really could use the help.. especially from anyone who has some specific
> spots to share.
>
> I'm geared up, keys in hand. Go!
>

> Kevin Durr
>
> Water Tone Wonderers
>

> Water Tone Wonderers
> Where field recordists, musicians, and artists of all types unite to weave
> water with their craft.
> View on www.watertonerecord...
> Preview by Yahoo
>

> Sound Bite Capture
>

> Sound Bite Capture
> For the most part my audio posts range from field recordings to hydrophone
> recordings, and sound design. Great currently used: 2 H2a-XLR hydrophones...
> View on soundcloud.com
> Preview by Yahoo

Messages in this topic (4)
    Date: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:19 pm ((PDT))

Thank you very much Bernie. Besides the Sierras and Muir Woods(I've been to and
love) I haven't heard of the handful of suggestions you provided. This is
exactly what I'm looking. I am currently making plans to check out Sugarloaf!

 Kevin D

Messages in this topic (4)
1d. Re: Bay Area, California suggestions
    Posted by: "Dan Dugan"  dandugan_1999
    Date: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:06 pm ((PDT))

Muir woods in the spring, like May, early, before the park opens. Start at
nautical twilight. You can record a great dawn chorus from the parking lot
(walk in) with few interruptions from planes or vehicles passing at that hour.
One hour from San Francisco!

Also El Polin Spring in the Presidio, quite quiet considering it’s in the
middle of a city.

Try hiking around the reservoir lakes in Marin County. The ridges block road
noise. Oh, and Oakwood Valley, off Tennessee Valley Road, under the power lines.

-Dan

Messages in this topic (4)
2a. Re: Surround recording (was Boston sounds)
    Posted by: "Arnþór Helgason"
    Date: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:41 am ((PDT))

Hello, Bernie,

This recording of the waves is wonderful.

Best regards,

Arnthor Helgason

http://hljod.blog.is

�ann 23.9.2016 23:50, skrifa�i Bernie Krause
[naturerecordists]:
> As an example, here are a few samples of what the DPAs sounded like:
> 1) when mounted on my shoulders while standing by the N. Sea in the
> eastern UK on the beach at Aldeburgh:
> https://soundcloud.com/wildsanctuary/aldeburgh09dpas
>
> 2) And this is what the DPAs sounded like when attached to my mbira
> (African thumb-piano) and tested. This was recorded in 2010 when I got
> my pair:
> https://soundcloud.com/wildsanctuary/mbira-dpas
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Bernie
>
> Wild Sanctuary
> POB 536
> Glen Ellen, CA 95442
> 707-938-5388
> http://www.wildsanctuary.com
>
> SKYPE: biophony
> FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
> TED Global
> talk:
> https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world?language=en
>
> On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:10 PM, Gregory O'Drobinak
>  <>
> [naturerecordists] <
> <>> wrote:
>

>> Bernie:
>>
>> Sorry, but NOTHING can sound as obnoxious, ridiculous and unappealing
>> as Donald Trump!
>> The world's most mediocre and simplistic recording gear sounds way
>> better (and makes more sense).
>>
>> Stay with us & keep the faith!
>>
>> Love hearing from you all,
>> Greg

>> *From:*"Bernie
>> <>[naturerecordists]"
>> <
>> <>>

Messages in this topic (17)
    Date: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:35 am ((PDT))

Thanks, Arnthor. Remember, that was just a test.

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: biophony
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk:
https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world?language=en

On Sep 24, 2016, at 3:41 AM, Arn��r Helgason
[naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> Hello, Bernie,
>

> This recording of the waves is wonderful.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Arnthor Helgason
>
> http://hljod.blog.is
>

> �ann 23.9.2016 23:50, skrifa�i Bernie Krause
> [naturerecordists]:
>> As an example, here are a few samples of what the DPAs sounded like:
>> 1) when mounted on my shoulders while standing by the N. Sea in the eastern
>> UK on the beach at
>> Aldeburgh:https://soundcloud.com/wildsanctuary/aldeburgh09dpas
>>
>> 2) And this is what the DPAs sounded like when attached to my mbira (African
>> thumb-piano) and tested. This was recorded in 2010 when I got my pair:
>> https://soundcloud.com/wildsanctuary/mbira-dpas
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>> Wild Sanctuary
>> POB 536
>> Glen Ellen, CA 95442
>> 707-938-5388
>> http://www.wildsanctuary.com
>>
>> SKYPE: biophony
>> FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
>> TED Global talk:
>> https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world?language=en
>>
>> On Sep 22, 2016, at 9:10 PM, Gregory O'Drobinak
>> [naturerecordists] <> wrote:
>>

>>> Bernie:
>>>
>>> Sorry, but NOTHING can sound as obnoxious, ridiculous and unappealing as
>>> Donald Trump!
>>> The world's most mediocre and simplistic recording gear sounds way better
>>> (and makes more sense).
>>>
>>> Stay with us & keep the faith!
>>>
>>> Love hearing from you all,
>>> Greg