[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6676

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6676
From: "" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 08:09:29 +0000
There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Boston sounds
    From:  royrumbaugh
1b. Re: Boston sounds
    From: Dan Dugan
1c. Re: Boston sounds
    From: Bernie Krause
1d. Re: Boston sounds
    From: Dan Dugan
1e. Re: Boston sounds
    From: Gerrit

Messages
1a. Re: Boston sounds
    Posted by:   royrumbaugh
    Date: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:43 am ((PDT))

Hugh,

 I live in southern NH and do sound recording and still photography as a
serious interest, primarily nature recording and usually in surround sound
format on land and water.  What did you have in mind for your project?

 Roy

Messages in this topic (6)
1b. Re: Boston sounds
    Posted by: "Dan Dugan"  dandugan_1999
    Date: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:43 pm ((PDT))

Roy, you wrote,

> I live in southern NH and do sound recording and still photography as a
> serious interest, primarily nature recording and usually in surround sound
> format on land and water.  What did you have in mind for your project?

It’s good to hear from someone recording in surround. Is anyone else here
besides me and Steve Sergeant doing surround?

-Dan

Messages in this topic (6)
1c. Re: Boston sounds
    Posted by: "Bernie Krause"  bigchirp1
    Date: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:48 pm ((PDT))

Do double MS and/or ambisonic formats count, Dan?

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-938-5388
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: biophony
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk:
https://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world?language=en

On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:49 AM, Dan Dugan  [naturerecordists]
<> wrote:

> Roy, you wrote,
>
>> I live in southern NH and do sound recording and still photography as a
>> serious interest, primarily nature recording and usually in surround sound
>> format on land and water.  What did you have in mind for your project?
>
> It�s good to hear from someone recording in surround. Is anyone else here
> besides me and Steve Sergeant doing surround?
>
> -Dan
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Dan Dugan <>
> ------------------------------------

> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Messages in this topic (6)
1d. Re: Boston sounds
    Posted by: "Dan Dugan"  dandugan_1999
    Date: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:56 pm ((PDT))

> Do double MS and/or ambisonic formats count, Dan?
>
> Bernie

Sure!

-Dan

Messages in this topic (6)
1e. Re: Boston sounds
    Posted by: "Gerrit"  gerritjanbeumer
    Date: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:18 am ((PDT))

Well Hi Dan and others,

Though strictly speaking not "surround" in the 5.1, x.1 sense, I have recently
begun exploring recording techniques to allow full 360 degrees rec and
(speaker!)playback based upon the Ambiophonics principles (ambiophonics.org) ie
crsoo talk cancellation and including pinnae refelections. This includes my
field recordists implementation of a(n) ambiophone (dual-sided (back-to-back)
Brinibox in this case ...).

Still rather rudimentary attempts as I only this summer completed the
back-to-back briniboxes (EM172's based).

Does that count too ...?

Interesting topic, thnx for opening it Dan !

Gerrit
Do double MS and/or ambisonic formats count, Dan?

Bernie

Sure!

-Dan

Messages in this topic (6)