2. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise

Subject: 2. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
From: "Telinga" klasstrandberg
Date: Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:19 am ((PDT))
Graham says:
"as any noise added by the pre-amp will still be less than the mic self
noise."

Yes, providing the mic self noise is high enough. If the mic self noise
is very low, the recorder=B4s self noise might dominate.
And, yes, providing the output of the microphone (mV/Pa) is high enough.
If too low, the recorder's self noise might dominate.

Where are the breaking points? That has been the question here.
How important this question is, is for others to decide.

But it would be clear to anyone, I hope, that it is incorrect to spend
money on a SD722 ONLY to optimize noise performance using DPA4060.
Vice versa, it is a bad idea to try to optimize noise performance by
buying 2 R=F6de NT1A to a Zoom H4n.
Okay?

Klas.

On 2016-08-02 22:38, Gregory O'Drobinak
[naturerecordists] wrote:
> Yes!
>
> -------------------------
>  FROM: " [naturerecordists]"
> <>
> TO:
> SENT: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:37 PM
> SUBJECT: [Nature Recordists] Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
>
> Robin, I think I have this now.
>
> As long as the pre-amp is good enough, as determined by the table I
> originally linked to, or John's spreadsheet, you can turn the pre-amp
> gain up as much as you need to without adding any noise as any noise
> added by the pre-amp will still be less than the mic self noise.
>
> Is that a reasonable summary?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/info;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJl=
azk3bWtmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwN=
2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQ3MDE3MDI4NQ--
> [2]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/naturerecordists/members/all;_ylc=3DX=
3oDMTJmYzFkbGQxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYz=
BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzE0NzAxNzAyODU-
> [3]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJkcTJrdWFtBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdyc=
ElkAzIxMjY4NjAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNjYzBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNDcw=
MTcwMjg1