[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6639

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6639
From: "" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:02:58 +0000

    From: Jonas Gruska
    From:  myotisone
    From:  natureguyusa
    From: Telinga
    From: Scott Fraser
    From: Telinga
    From:  myotisone
    From:  robin_parmar_sound
    From:  myotisone
    From: Gregory O&#39;Drobinak
    From:  myotisone
    From: Gregory O&#39;Drobinak

    From:
    From:  oatcruncher
2c. Re: faux fur
    From:  kslbirder

Messages
1a. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by: "Jonas Gruska"  mrqwa
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 1:35 am ((PDT))

Dear Graham,

we are two-person company for the moment, and I am building all mics
myself by hand. So it takes a while unfortunately.
I also have a lot of artistic projects running on the side, workshop, so
my schedule is quite full and… I need some vacation too :)
Anyway, I hope I didn’t sound biased against the DPA 4060s – they
sound great, just not for certain things I like to do.

Have a nice day,
Jonas

✺ ✺ ✺
http://jonasgru.sk
On 2 Aug 2016, at 8:49,  [naturerecordists] wrote:

> Thanks for this Jonas and interesting that you should join this
> thread, as you are to blame for it :-)
>
> I have just bought a used Fostex FR2 le, but have no mics with XLR
> plugs and had decided before buying it, that I was going to get a pair
> of your mics to go with it,  but they are out of stock with no
> indication of when they might become available.
>
> This sent me off looking for alternatives and trying to understand the
> numbers. Which has in fact been a very useful exercise.
>
> I've actually emailed you via your webpage to see if you have any
> estimate of availability to help me decide on whether I wait for stock
> becoming available or whether I should look for an alternative.
>
> At the moment I don't have anything to plug into my new/used FR2le,
> which is a little frustrating,  so good to hear you are currently
> building new stock.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham

Messages in this topic (22)
1b. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by:   myotisone
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 1:45 am ((PDT))

Hello Jonas,

Thanks for the response, and I wasn't complaining, I realised you were a small
company.  I just found it mildly amusing that you should comment on this
thread, given the background to why I started it.

The DPA 4060s are well outside my price range, it was just they seemed a good
example of a well respected but "noisier" mic.

I hope you get your holiday :-)

Cheers,

Graham

Messages in this topic (22)
1c. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by:   natureguyusa
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 8:06 am ((PDT))

Hello nature recordists,

One would have to consider both sensitivity and noise specifications given by
the manufacturers and also consider the specification of the recorder you are
using to make judgments. Manufacturers go to great lengths to measure and
publish specifications. If you are comparing a low output mic that has a good
noise spec to a mic with a higher output that is rated higher in noise and
think the one with a lower noise spec is noiser, then your recorder is adding
noise. This is common with microphones that have a lower output as many
recorders do not have low noise preamps. What is this concept of nicer sounding
noise?? Noise is always objectionable in my opinion.

Now, to the DPA4060 discussion. Jonas is correct that the DPA4060 would be
noisier than a Primo EM172 used in his Usi mics. For anyone who says that the
DPA4060 is noisier but higher sensitivity, so it makes up for it, is incorrect.
I do believe there was a math error with that idea involving negative numbers.
Listen to the specifications. The DPA4060 has 3 times less signal and is 2.5
times noisier than a properly designed circuit using a Primo EM172. I said
properly designed circuit because, if one just uses a Primo EM172 as a PIP
microphone, the EM172 can be very similar to a DPA4060, depending on the
recorder it is connected to. The EM172 is an element that needs higher voltage
and higher impedance than most PIP elements, and most PIP recorders do not have
the correct circuit to allow the EM172 to obtain it's lowest noise and highest
sensitivity. Not that the EM172s are all fabulous, they have their issues as
well. The primary issue with the EM172 element is a general drop off in
frequency response past 10KHz, which is many times ignored. What the DPA4060 is
exceptional at is an excellent wide polar angle at higher frequencies, which
makes it very good for recording louder subjects. There are all kinds of sounds
in nature, some loud, some quiet. For quieter sounds, I would use low noise
microphones, generally less than 10dBA self noise microphones. I don't think
you would be happy with mics with higher noise floors. For loud frogs or
insects, almost any microphone will work as noise floor isn't the issue, but
max SPL might be more of an issue. It just depends on what your subject is.

Bruce Rutkoski

Owner

Wildtronics.com

Professional Parabolic Microphones and more.

Messages in this topic (22)
1d. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by: "Telinga"  klasstrandberg
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 8:52 am ((PDT))

The reports that I get tell that 4060 users like the sound so much that
they disregard the noise. The noise is there, of course.

Klas

On 2016-08-02 03:04,  [naturerecordists] wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> I didn't want to get into all of the other factors that affect the end
> result. The mic noise, mic sensitivity, preamp noise issue is
> confusing enough, and I am no expert! For me, the confusion that comes
> with the microphone output noise figure is that it is easy to forget
> that the output signal figure also rises or falls along with it. With
> a more sensitive mic, both the signal and the noise are higher. With a
> less sensitive mic, both are lower. It's the ratio of signal to noise
> that matters.
>
> As to the question of a more sensitive microphone being better because
> it allows less gain in the recorder, I can't say that aligns with my
> experience. My recorders, primarily the LS-11 and the FR2LE, seem to
> perform optimally at their highest gain setting. Higher gain is
> certainly not a problem. I sometimes prefer a less sensitive
> microphone (with low self-noise). For example I am currently recording
> a lot of insects, and a nearby katydid can clip my LS-11/EM172 rig
> even when it is set to the Low-10 gain setting that normally yields
> the best result in terms of signal-to-noise. My FR2LE/AT3032 rig
> handles this better because the 3032s are less sensitive than the
> EM172s while still being very low noise.
>
> I've never used the 4060, and I confess that I don't understand how a
> mic with a self-noise level of 23 dBA can be useable in a quiet
> natural setting, unless as Klas suggests it has to do with the
> frequency spectrum of that noise. I don't see how it can have anything
> to do with the sensitivity. Happy to be corrected on that!
>
> John
>
> ---In  <> wrote :
>
> Thanks John,
>
> I think the issue was that I was thinking in terms of the noise being
> recorded, and not the preamp requirerements
>
> Essentially the total output noise (-7)  is telling you how quiet your
> pre-amp needs to be if you want to take advantage of how quiet the mic
> is.
>
> However, Jezz Riley French wrote:
>
> "There’s a myth about the 4060’s that is often stated by some
> nature recordists, who claim that the self noise rating of them means
> they are unsuitable for nature recording - this is incorrect. Yes,
> they have a higher self noise rating than some other mics but
> they’re also more sensitive, meaning the gain doesn’t need to be
> turned up on ones recorder. "
>
> which suggests that the higher sensitivity is still having an effect
> on the mic noise recorded, because the mic self noise has less
> amplification for any  given sound level.
>
> So to me there still seems to be a variable missing if trying to
> estimate recorded noise between mics.
>
> But I think I am now much clearer about what table 3 at the Rane site
> [...]

Messages in this topic (22)
1e. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by: "Scott Fraser"  scottbfraser
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 9:10 am ((PDT))

“ Is it technically possible to make a small lavelier mic like the DPA 4060
that has all that detail over 1kHz and less of the noise?
I haven’t listened to or used Jonas’ mics (i am curious though) but other smal
lav mics I’ve tried do sometimes have less noise than the DPA but it seems to
be because they are simply less sensitive in the higher frequency range. It’s a
bit cheeky of course...
Anyhow, really curious as to whether this whole noise issue is quite simply a
technical limitation or not? “

It’s largely a matter of physics. Small diaphragm mics are by nature always
going to be noisier than large diaphragm mics. There are many other factors at
play, & results stemming from diaphragm size, but generally a 1” diaphragm mic
tends to be 6 to 12 dB quieter than a 1/4” or smaller lavalier mic.
sf

Messages in this topic (22)
1f. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by: "Telinga"  klasstrandberg
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 9:32 am ((PDT))

Technically, you will fight the laws of nature. Considering the size of
the 4060 diaphragm, I think DPA has come very close to what is possible.
You will need some kind of chemical/physical/material breakthrough to
get better. Mems mic´s are quickly developing and it will be interesting
to see where it goes.
There are some really good 5 mm electrets on the market with less noise
than 4060, but not with the 4060 "clarity / coloring/.

Klas

On 2016-08-02 03:35, 303  [naturerecordists] wrote:
> [...]
>>> your pre-amp needs to be if you want to take advantage of how
>>> quiet the mic is.
>>>
>>> However, Jezz Riley French wrote:
>>>
>>> "There’s a myth about the 4060’s that is often stated by some
>>> nature recordists, who claim that the self noise rating of them
>>> means they are unsuitable for nature recording - this is
>>> incorrect. Yes, they have a higher self noise rating than some
>>> other mics but they’re also more sensitive, meaning the gain
>>> doesn’t need to be turned up on ones recorder. "
>>>
>>> which suggests that the higher sensitivity is still having an
>>> effect on the mic noise recorded, because the mic self noise has
>>> less amplification for any given sound level.
>>>
>>> So to me there still seems to be a variable missing if trying to
>>> estimate recorded noise between mics.
>>>
>>> But I think I am now much clearer about what table 3 at the Rane

Messages in this topic (22)
1g. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by:   myotisone
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 10:29 am ((PDT))

Thanks Bruce,

I am beginning to get a better feeling for what mic specs are useful and how
they relate to the subject matter.

But the very contradictory views about the DPA4060s and noise across the
various forums I have been reading, is a good example of why I have been
finding it confusing.

Cheers,

Graham

Messages in this topic (22)
1h. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by:   robin_parmar_sound
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 11:34 am ((PDT))

Given the continuing confusion, it is worth reiterating that the self-noise
figure of the microphone is the ONLY specification that tells us how noisy it
is. We can ignore other specification (e.g. sensitivity).

But it's worth remembering that people use different microphones for different
reasons. Not all recording contexts, even those nature recordists are faced
with, are the same. Some natural sources have a mid to high sound pressure
level (SPL) and hence the self-noise of a microphone is less an issue. More
important is its frequency response, transient response, polar pattern, and so
on. That's why the DPA 4060 is popular in this context.

Those of us who like recording quiet environments tend to fixate on the
self-noise of a microphone. This is not because the other factors no longer
matter, but because it is hard to appreciate the lovely sound of an otherwise
perfect mic if it is blanketed with significant hiss.

On a spec sheet, the self-noise might instead be called "noise floor",
"equivalent noise level", etc. If the manufacturer instead gives us the
signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio, we can subtract this from 94 to get the
self-noise, as John Crokett has already mentioned in his excellent explanation.

A self-noise of 14 dB SPL means that the the inherent noise floor of the
microphone is equivalent to a source producing a sound pressure level of 14 dB.
Manufacturers generally apply the A-weight frequency curve, since this makes
the figure lower. (You cannot directly compare SPL values given with different
curves.) Again, this absolute level of noise is all we need to know!

Here's a comparison of the self-noise of several useful microphones (dB SPL
A-weighted):

DPA 4060: 23

Line Audio CM3: 16

Primo EM172: 14

Sennheiser ME66: 10

Audio-Technica MKH20: 10

Audio-Technica 3032 / 4022: 8 (spec sheet says 14/13 dB)

Rode NT1-A: 5

Personally, I am quite happy with the Primo EM172 when size and portability is
foremost, and the AT 3032 the rest of the time.

But I am always curious about what microphones are around the next corner!

-- Robin Parmar

Messages in this topic (22)
1i. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by:   myotisone
    Date: Tue Aug 2, 2016 12:37 pm ((PDT))

Robin, I think I have this now.

As long as the pre-amp is good enough, as determined by the table I originally
linked to, or John's spreadsheet, you can turn the pre-amp gain up as much as
you need to without adding any noise as any noise added by the pre-amp will
still be less than the mic self noise.

Is that a reasonable summary?

Cheers,

Graham

Messages in this topic (22)
1j. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
    Posted by: "Gregory O&#39;Drobinak"  gmo_dunes2